Research and other Opportunities for Math Majors
- For information on fellowships and research support at Penn State, see https://ufo.psu.edu/calendar/list
- REU (Research Experience for Undergrads) in partial differential equations, fluids, elasticity, imaging and inverse problems, numerical methods. Available for 2 students during the summer 2020 (up to eight weeks, $500/week). Must be US permanent residents or US citizen. Must have Math 251 or 411, Math 230, Math 412, Math 451 or 455 (455/456 preferred). Must have basic knowledge of a programming language (C, Python, Matlab preferred). If eligible, write an email that outlines your interests, your future plans and includes your resume and transcript to Professor Anna Mazzucato.
- Summer Opportunities: For a list of Math REUs, see http://www.ams.org/programs/students/emp-reu Note: There are some Sept 2019 deadlines.
- Libraries offer $1,250 award for outstanding undergraduate thesis! See https://libraries.psu.edu/about/student-awards/outstanding-undergraduate-thesis-award Go Math Students! (You don’t have to be an honors student.)
- Ask your mathematics, first-year, seminar course instructor for a “Discovery experience”.
- Individual projects with faculty.
- Many of our students also work at the Applied Research Lab.
Mathematics Conferences for Undergraduates
- Some financial support is available for Math students to present at a conference.https://math.psu.edu/about/giving/mae
- List of MAA Mathfest future meetings
- List of conferences.
- Rose-Hulman Institure of Technology, Undergraduate Mathematics Conference
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Undergraduate Math Conference
- Southwestern Undergraduate Mathematics Research Conference
- Youngstown State University, Pi Mu Epsilon Regional Conference
Journals for Undergraduate Mathematics
- Minnesota Journal of Undergraduate Mathematics
- Ball State Mathematics Exchange
- The Rose-Hulman Undergraduate Mathematics Journal
- The Waterloo Mathematics Review
- JYI: Journal of Young Investigators
- Involve: a journal of mathematics
Interested in more information? Email us.